Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a designaholic.

"So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering." Brenda Ueland

1.27.2007

Hand lettering is alive and well


While browsing through Jan/Feb issue of PRINT Magazine, I came across an article about illustrator, artist, letterpress printer, and all around "boy genius" Ray Fenwick. I instantly fell in love with his award-winning comic Hall of Best Knowledge. I absolutely love his hand lettering, writing style and use of black and white in his illustration. Granted, the comic strip is for a newspaper, but truly that is part of the designers job - to understand your medium and printing process and design to those strengths.

As for how I see these in my apartment, I'm envisioning a group of 3 comics grouped together on a wall, possibly a hallway, to create a fantastic composition. Not only strong as individual pieces, but arranged correctly these parts will form a beautiful, unified whole.

2 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Those are really cool. Does he write them too?

2/02/2007 5:38 PM  
Blogger moodling said...

Yes, he writes them too. So witty, and funny. I just love the whole piece.

2/02/2007 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home