Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a designaholic.

"So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering." Brenda Ueland

11.16.2006

New city + new house = new design challenges

What better way to open this blog than with an explanation, or better, the inspiration from which it came. You see, I've moved for the first time in over 12 years and a move like this really gets you thinking. First of all, I am crazy excited for all the possibilities that a new city offers: meeting new people, seeing new places, tasting new food. All of this leaves me so optimistic about where this move will take my career and my life. The unknown is thrilling.

But, it also gets you thinking about more practical things like will my furniture from a narrow, traditional Philly rowhome (freshly renovated over 4 years with my blood, sweat and tears) fit into this new "condo"? And by condo, I mean a 1,000 sf 1st floor apartment in a renovated Queen Ann in the Jamaica Plain section of Boston. The layout, the color, the light, the feel are all completely different. So of course my first reaction is no. No, our furniture just won't do. And, yes, my husband is just thrilled that I've come to that conclusion.

The move has also inspired thoughts about where I want to take my design career. I'm a graphic designer and artist, practicing for 10 years. I love what I do, but I have to admit, owning ones own home definitely opens your eyes to all different kinds of design from furniture, to textiles, to lighting. I'm so inspired by people creating anything. I'm amazed at the energy and the dedication that artists put forth in becoming a success. It's contagious and makes me want to do more. To get out from behind the computer and interact with artists of all kinds. To just create.

And lastly, this is my attempt at reaching an audience I would otherwise never meet. I thought, why not jot down my adventures in this new city - the little gems I come across as I walk the city neighborhoods or as I search and search for a new couch that will fit just so in the new "condo" or as I scour the city looking for a coffee house that either serves La Colombe or something close to it. (Oh, you Philly people know what I'm talking about. There is NO coffee like La Colombe, and don't even get me started on their cappuccino's. My mouth is watering just thinking about it....)

So, in essence this blog is going to be a little bit about me, a little bit about Boston, a little bit about Philly (hey, it's hard to shake your roots), and a lot a bit about design.

Welcome & Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Design is addictive! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

11/20/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger KitcheView said...

I think you need to combine some of the things you love the most into some sort of art form. i suggest coffee grounds from La Colombe mixed with Seine's hair) patch it all together into a canvas and Walla, some new art medium!

11/20/2006 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to art and design that would otherwise fly over my head.
I agree w/kitchen view though, combining your loves, (siene and walking to the pond) into an artistic romp....

11/27/2006 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home