Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a designaholic.

"So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering." Brenda Ueland

11.28.2006

Oh Tannenbaum



We picked up our Christmas tree last night. In a very strange turn of events from years past, we had to go to Home Depot for the tree. In Philly you could get a tree on practically every street corner, under every underpass, in every parking lot. We literally walked out our door, walked 1 block, picked out a tree and dragged it home. Well, that's definitely not the case up here. We actually drove around for a while looking for a school, supermarket, gas station, anywhere selling trees, when finally, like a beacon in the night, we found one store. But, like many a child on Christmas morning, we were sorely disappointed because the store was closed. It was 8:00 p.m. So that's how we ended up at Home Depot. Because, at Home Depot, you can still buy a Christmas tree after 8:00 p.m.

In all honesty, I'm very happy with our tree. First of all, it's enormous. Second of all, it's really enormous. I've always wanted an enormous tree, and thanks to our wonderfully high ceilings and wonderfully normal sized doorways, we were able to get one this year. Now, when it comes to decorating the tree, I stick firmly to my interiors style motto - just throw it all together, don't take it too seriously and see what happens. I definitely am not one of those to have a monochromatic theme for all the ornaments - everything needing to match and be picture-perfect. It's just not me, I'm not that coordinated, and honestly that looks really fantastic for a photo shoot, but not so for my home. I like things to be just slightly off, eclectic, mixed up and quirky. That's just how I am.

As I'm getting ready to trim the tree THE big question arises: do I put up the color or the white lights?

Up next ... 25 Gifts for the Procrastinator in All of Us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say use colored lights, sounds like jamaica plain could use some philly cheese

11/30/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

i agree. christmas trees are supposed to reflect your personality and history not some highly stylized interior design element.

11/30/2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home